Wednesday, 16 September 2015

Salmon

This Friday, I'll be presenting a salmon-themed poetry reading in Portrush as part of Verbal Arts Centre involvement with 'Stories of Salmon Leaping', a cultural heritage project being delivered by the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure and partners, aimed at raising awareness of the salmon, its story and its lifecycle.

I'll be sharing poems looking at salmon in and out of the water; in rivers, creeks, Pacific currents and beyond; salmon in the hand, on the slab, and cooking it, in the poetry. With verse from Seamus Heaney, Ted Hughes, Raymond Carver and much more, the poems explore mankind's connection with nature, looking at salmon not only as a source of sustenance and income, but of the magic and majesty of the fish, and of the wild tales their journey inspires.

This poetry reading will be the prefect excuse for me to dig out all my old fish puns... although really I've haddock up to here with fish puns. I'm really just making them up for the sheer halibut.

http://theverbal.co/blog/story/2015/fishy-tales-and-poetry-for-salmon-project-events

No comments:

Post a Comment